Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chalkboard Plate

I have viewed many chalkboard projects in blogland and always wanted to complete one of my own; however I didn't know exactly what I wanted. I came across this plate that was stored away that has never been put to use and decided it would be perfect for my first chalkboard project!




Materials:
Platter or Plate of your choice
Spray Paint (if you wish to change the color of the plate)
Paintbrush
Chalkboard Paint
Painter's Tape (if you need to tape it off)
Chalk

First, I used white spray paint and covered the entire plate allowing it to completely dry prior to applying additional coats (it took several coats to cover the design).  When the spray paint was completely dry (you should probably wait 24 hours), I taped off the middle using painters tape.  I then painted the middle portion of the plate using chalkboard paint.  I purchased mine at a home improvement store.  It was a little pricey, so have several projects lined up so you can get your money's worth!



I used three coats of the chalkboard paint allowing each coat 24 hours to dry prior to applying an additional coat.  Now you are ready to prime your chalkboard.  To do this, take one piece of chalk (flat side) and rub over the entire surface, then erase. Now your chalkboard is ready to use!





I would love to see or hear about your chalkboard project too!

No comments:

Post a Comment